- Planning Services
Not sure where to start? Contact Canton Planning Services to set-up a conceptual meeting to discuss your project and overall review process. Click here to view the Conceptual Meeting Checklist.
Below is a list of our most requested documents and applications. Please note, the Planning Services Fee Schedule was adopted in 2022. Payment can be made via check in person at the Planning Services counter, located in the Canton Township Administration Building, with the exception of Certificate of Zoning Compliance applications. Checks MUST be included with all mailed applications. Contact Planning Services prior to submitting payment to confirm applicable fees.
- Address Request Application (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance Seasonal Sales Permit (PDF)
- Certificate of Zoning Compliance (PDF)
- Conceptual Meeting Checklist
- Conditional Zoning Amendment Application (PDF)
- Conditional Zoning Amendment Pre-Application Meeting (PDF)
- Detention Basin Planting Guidelines (PDF)
- Future Land Use Amendment Application (PDF)
- Land Record Change Application (PDF)
- List of acceptable street tress (PDF)
- Planned Development District Review Application (PDF)
- Planning Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Property Split Combination Application (PDF)
- Request for Pre-Application Meeting for a Proposed Planned Development District (PDF)
- Request for Variance Application (PDF)
- Site Plan Review Application and Submittal Check List (PDF)
- Special Land Use Application (PDF)
- Subdivision Plat Review Application (PDF)
- Temporary Outdoor Dining Permit Application
- Tree Removal Application (PDF)
- Zoning Amendment Application (PDF)
- Zoning Board of Appeals Application (PDF)
- Zoning Confirmation Letter Request (PDF)
- Zoning Text Amendment Application (PDF)
Canton's Planning Division is part of the Municipal Services Department. To learn more about MSD and what it does, click here.
Planning Services is a Division of the Municipal Services Department. Responsibilities include:
- Long-range land use planning
- Zoning code administration
- Review and approval of new Condominiums and Subdivisions.
- Working closely with the Planning Commission and Township Board to shape and define the vision of the community. Planning also assists in economic development activities by facilitation new business and industry through management and the development review process.
- Site Plan Review of commercial, industrial and multiple-family residential sites.
Comprehensive Land Use Plan
The Comprehensive Plan is a general, long-range "blue-print" for development which promotes high-quality orderly growth for Canton Township.
- 2020 Proposed Amendment to the Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map (PDF)
- Comprehensive Master Plan (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map (PDF)
Zoning and Development Regulations
Canton’s Zoning Ordinance regulates the use of land and structures and provides for the regulation of land development and the establishment of districts. The Condominium and Subdivision ordinances regulate the development of new subdivisions and site Condominiums.
- Code of Ordinances
- Zoning Map
Planning Services is responsible for ensuring compliance with the landscape plan for developments throughout the construction process.
- A plan typically includes all common areas, entryways, berms, and detention pond landscaping.
- Street trees in front of residential property are the homeowners responsibility to maintain and/or replace if necessary.
- The common elements of residential developments become the responsibility of the homeowner association to maintain.
Additional education materials for those interested in learning about invasive plant species in Michigan and native prairie plants can be found on Michigan State Extension site.