Canton Township is committed to fostering unique spaces, facilities and programs to improve the overall health of its residents and guests. Through a dedicated and knowledgeable staff, outstanding partnerships, and innovative grant programs, Canton's goal is to provide health and wellness opportunities that are accessible to everyone.
There are 10 Community Parks, over 15 miles of nature trails, athletic fields and courts, playgrounds, and splash playgrounds that are all free and open to the public. To learn more about these spaces visit the Parks web page.
Throughout the year, Canton hosts special events, fitness classes and programs to introduce residents to free or low cost wellness services. These are great opportunities to try out something new and connect to with resources right here in the community.
- Community Partners
- Community Health
- Food Assistance
- Local Walking & Running Programs
- Summit on the Park
- Wellness Videos
- Cooking Videos
Community Health and Wellness Partners
The health, wellness and safety of Canton Residents and guests is of the upmost importance. Here is a list of our community partners. If you are seeking information on additional resources, please call 734/394-5360.
- Canton Public Safety: Emergencies Call 911, Non-Emergencies Call 734/394-5400
- Canton Public Library: Opens a New Window. 734/397-0999
Community Support Resources
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Opens a New Window. 1-800-273-8255
- Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority: Opens a New Window. 1-800/241-4949
- First Step: Opens a New Window. Domestic Violence Shelter 734/416-1111
- Growth Works, Inc.: Opens a New Window. Social services provider for youth and families 734/455-4095
- S.T.E.P. Services to Enhance Potential: Opens a New Window. 734/722-1000
- The Senior Alliance: Opens a New Window. Senior social services 734/722-2820
- Beaumont of Canton: Opens a New Window. 734/454-8001
- DMC - Rehab Institute of Michigan: Opens a New Window. 313/745-3380
- St. Joseph Mercy Health System: Opens a New Window. 734/398-7557
- Arctic Edge: Opens a New Window. 734/487-7777
- B.L.O.C.K. Youth & Teen Center: 734/398-5570
- Canton Community Foundation: Opens a New Window. 734/495-1200
- Canton Master Gardeners: 734/394-5460
- Canton Sports Center: 734/483-5600
- Canton Youth Sports Organizations: 734/483-5600
- Fellows Creek Golf Club: Opens a New Window. 734/728-1300
- High Velocity: Opens a New Window. 734/487-7678
- Pheasant Run Golf Club: 734/397-6460
- Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association Opens a New Window.
- Summit on the Park Community Recreation Center: 734/394-5460
Community Health & Wellness Programs and Events
Canton offers a variety of free or low cost programs to the community. Here are a few of the upcoming programs that you may be interested in. If you would like to learn about specific offerings or are not seeing what you are looking for, please call 734/394-5460 to speak with the Health & Wellness Specialist. Our goal is to get you the resources that you need. You may also be interested in clicking on the "Community Partners" tab for additional resources.
Canton Township Administration Building, Summit on the Park and Canton Public Library host American Red Cross Blood Drives. To learn more about blood donation and find the donation site closest to you, please visit the Red Cross website.
Canton Farmers Market
The Canton Farmers Market takes place on Sundays from Mid-May through Mid-October. Weekly markets feature a variety of vendors with locally grown produce/foods, hand crafted artisan items, live entertainment, kids crafts, cooking demos, Master Gardener booth, and much more. Learn More
- Food Assistance Programs: The Canton Farmers Market accepts several programs including: Bridge Cards, Double Up Food Bucks, Senior Project FRESH & WIC Project FRESH Coupons. Visit the Information Booth for more details.
Community Gardens Rental Program
Please call the Market Manager at 734/394-5375 to check availability. By renting a garden plot at Preservation Park or at the Dog Park, you can grow your favorite organic veggies and herbs all summer long!
Co-op Community Garden
Our Co-op Community Garden was funded by a grant through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation at the end of 2012. The past few years, the garden has been funded, planted and maintained by the Canton Market Market Master Gardener Volunteer group with the support of our Market staff. The garden is harvested by volunteers and staff for the benefit of residents at First Step in Wayne as well as Canton's TEFAP recipients. If you would like to help support this project, please contact the Health & Wellness Specialist at 734/394-5460.
Canton Liberty Fest Health & Wellness Events
The Annual Liberty Fest takes place June 13-15, 2019 in beautiful Heritage Park. Throughout the three day festival, several health and wellness events will be open to the public. Learn More
- Liberty Fest Step Challenge
- Liberty Fest Zumba Party
- Liberty Run 5K/10K: This scenic walk/run event begins in Heritage Park and winds along the Lower Rouge Trail. There is a nominal fee for this event.
Random Acts of Fitness
Canton Leisure Services will be hitting the parks looking to reward healthy choices and active lifestyles. If you are spotted walking the dog, riding your bike, taking a jog, or enjoying a stroll with your family or friends, we just might reward you with a fabulous prize!
Future Programs and Events
- Fall Summit Shutdown Free Park Fitness Classes
Family Health and Wellness Programs
Getting active and eating well as a family is extremely important. Canton offers a variety of programs throughout the year. As new events come up, they will be added to this calendar. If you would like to learn more about family health and wellness opportunities, please call the Health & Wellness Specialist at 734/394-5460.
FARMERS MARKET PRODUCE CLUB
The Canton Farmers Market is open weekly from Mid-May through Mid-October at Preservation Park. Each weekly market features live entertainment, cooking demos, educational demonstrations in the historic buildings, kids crafts and activities. The Farmers Market Produce Club introduces kids and families to new produce and how to prepare it. To learn more about the Canton Farmers Market please visit their web page or call 734/394-5460.
CANTON PASSPORT TO PARKS
Join us in many of Canton's Parks for FREE fitness classes for adults and children's activities. Take classes from yoga to HIIT and bring the whole family with you! Attend as many classes as possible to be entered to win a prize. For more information please visit the Passport to Parks web page.
- May 11 & 25, June 8 & 22, July 13 & 27, August 10 & 24 10:30 am-11:30 am
Family Field Day
Join Canton Leisure Services at the North end of Heritage Park for this family health and wellness event! Everyone can participate in our Canton Field Day events such as our old favorites of potato sack races and shoe kicks. This is a great photo opportunity so please bring your camera. No pre-registration required. The $13R/$15NR per family fee is paid on-site. Following the Family Field Day we will be playing a movie in the park on the big screen. Food, snacks, and popcorn will be sold on site.
- August 9 7 pm
Every Kid Healthy
Celebrating National Every Kid Healthy Week with free activities each day. Registration is required for each activity. To learn more, please call 734/394-5460.
- 2020 programs TBA
Health and Wellness Programs for Senior Adults Ages 55+
Canton hosts numerous one-time and ongoing programs designed to improve the overall health and aging in place of individuals ages 55 and up. For more information about these and other offerings please call 734/394-5191 or visit the Club 55+ web page.
- Matter of Balance: 6 week program
- What's Your Brain Plan Seminar
- Hearing Loss Seminar
- Brain Health Seminar
- Stand Tall, Prevent Falls Seminar
- Improve Mobility with Flexibility Seminar
- Exercise: Cognitive Candy for the Brain
- Good Posture - Do You Have It?
- Your Gut is Your Second Brain
- Mindful Relaxation: Meditation
- Vision Seminar
- DPATH: Diabetes Prevention Action Towards Health
- Blood Pressure Screening
- Flu Shot Clinic
Sports and Fitness
- Chair Volleyball
- Line Dancing
- Pickleball: Indoor at the Summit on the Park and Outdoor at Freedom Park
- Ping Pong (Drop In)
- Striders Walking Club
- Outdoor Walking Group
- Safe, Sound and Secure: partnership with Canton Public Safety
- Senior Summit: Informational Conference on May 15, 2019. Please call 734/394-5838 to register.
- Senior Games & Golf Tournament: September 16-20, 2019.
Additional Programs and Resources
- TSA Medicare/Medicaid Information Appointments
- Identity Theft Seminar
- Safe Money Retirement Solutions Seminar
- How to Avoid Scams Seminar
- Shoe Education 101
- Safe Money: Social Security
- AARP Car Tek Class
Food Assistance Programs
To help ensure that area residents have access to food and resources Canton Township supports several programs. For more information or to discuss which options may be best for you, please call 734/394-5191.
Canton Farmers Market
The Canton Farmers Market accepts several programs including: Bridge Cards, Double Up Food Bucks, Senior Project FRESH & WIC Project FRESH Coupons. Visit the Information Booth for more details. Learn More about Canton Farmers Market about Canton Farmers Market or call 734/394-5460.
Home Delivered Meals
For information on how you can receive meals delivered to your home, contact Wayne County Community Services at 734/727-7357.
Focus: HOPE for Seniors
The Focus: HOPE Program provides free food (based on income) monthly to senior citizens who are 60 years of age or older and reside in Wayne County, Oakland County, Washtenaw County, or Macomb County. Focus: Hope website Opens a New Window.
TEFAP: The Emergency Food Assistance Program
This program offers various food items to qualified low income residents. The distribution is once per month, on the 3rd Wednesday from 10 am - 12 pm. For more information contact the Supervisors office at 734/394-5185.
Meals On Wheels: Nutrition Home Delivered Meals
Meals on Wheels are offered to those senior citizens that are home bound and are unable to provide their own meals. For information on how you can receive meals delivered to your home, contact Wayne County Community Services at 734/727-7357.
- If you would like to help, please consider delivering meals to the home bound senior. Drivers are needed for regular routes or as substitute for this year round activity. If this is something that you would be interested in please call the volunteer coordinator at 734/394-5191.
Hosted at the Summit on the Park, Oak Room: Lunch is served daily at 11:30 am. Menus are available at the Club 55+ Parkview Room. A suggested donation of $2.25 for those 60+, all others $5. Reservations are required by 12 pm the day prior by calling 734/394-5485 ext. 1253.
Personal Care Pantry
If you know someone, or if you are experiencing a need, you can visit the pantry by asking a member services staff at the Summit front desk or make arrangements by emailing our member services staff at summitmemberservices@ canton-mi.org. Confidentiality and privacy are important to us and the community members who visit the pantry
Pantry items include: Deodorant, Diapers, Lotion, Cleaning Supplies, Shampoo, Soap, Razors, Toilet Paper etc.
If you would like to help us keep the pantry stocked, donations are accepted year round at the Summit on the Park Front Desk.
Local Walking and Running Programs
Walking, jogging and running are great ways to improve overall physical health. Canton has over 15 miles of trails throughout the community and continues to add pathway connections each year.
Upcoming Training Programs
- Your First 5K: This training program is ideal for first time runners and experienced athletes looking to get back into race shape. The 6-week beginner training program takes place in Heritage Park. Learn More by calling 734/394-5460.
Senior Walking Programs
- Striders Walking Club: Seniors 55+ can participate in the Striders Walking Club at the Summit on the Park. Annual Fee is $0 Members/$5 Residents/$8 Non-Residents. Daily indoor track fee is $0 Members/$1 Residents/$3 Non-Residents. Learn More by calling 734/394-5460. Walking Club Video
- Outdoor Walking Group: May 13-August 26, 2019 on Mondays at 10 am, join us for a walk around Heritage Park. The program is a great way to be active and meet new friends. Meet inside the Summit on the Park in the Parkview Club 55+ room.
- Pole Walking: The Summit on the Park Club 55+ is hosting a 6-week Pole Walking class May 7-June 11, 2019. No experience is needed. Fee is $6 Members/$7 Residents/$9 Non-Residents. Learn More by calling 734/394-5460.
Upcoming 5K/10K+ Walking and Running Events
Summit on the Park
The Summit on the Park is Canton's premier community, recreation and fitness facility. It hosts numerous community special events and programs throughout the year. The Summit on the Park provides a welcoming environment for all ages and abilities, and has long been the center of recreational activity in the Canton community. The Summit is available for use by membership or daily use fees. If you are a Canton Resident and would like to try out the Summit on the Park for free, please visit our web page and view our introductory video.
The Summit on the Park is one of several facilities owned and operated by Canton Leisure Services, which provides creative and innovative leisure programs and services that promote healthier lifestyles and enhance the quality of life for all ages. Included in these traditional recreational activities and offerings are: athletics, sports, summer playground camps, health & wellness classes, cultural events, and programs that address community concerns and interests. Learn more by visiting the Summit on the Park web page or by calling 734/394-5460.
- Fitness Center
- Aquatic Center
- Walking Track
- Racquetball Court
- 6 Locker-rooms
- Sauna and Steam Room
- Drop-In Childcare
- Club 55+ Senior Center
Services, Classes and Programs
- Personal Training
- Fitness Classes: Yoga, Zumba, Aerobics, TRX, Barre, Tai Chi, Strength, Older Adults, MELT, Aqua Fitness, and more!
- Swim Lessons
- Enrichment Classes
- Therapeutic Recreation Classes
Here are some exercises and workouts that you can incorporate into your wellness routine courtesy of Summit on the Park Personal Trainers and Fitness Instructors.You should consult your physician or other health care professional before starting this or any other fitness program to determine if it is right for your needs.
These workouts can be combined to create a total body workout. It is recommended that prior to exercising, you do a warm up of a few minutes of walking, light aerobics, or marching in place.
- Medicine Ball Workout
- Lower Body Dumbbell Workout
- Total Body Dumbbell Workout
- Upper Body Cardiovascular Workout
- Upper Body Dumbbell Workout
- Yoga Workout
These exercises focus on individual muscle groups and can be added to your wellness routine.
The Canton Farmers Market, Canton Cable Television, and local chefs have collaborated to bring you several cooking demonstrations. You can see more free demonstrations during the Farmers Market.
Cooking Techniques with Chef Kristi
- Butterflying Chicken Breast
- Chopping Fresh Herbs
- Roasted Squash
- Slicing a Bell Pepper
- Slicing a Pineapple
- Supreme an Orange